Sunday, July 18, 2010

Just a boy in Chevy truck

It's been a while since I've last posted anything on here. Thankfully I got burnt out on being an "internet junkie". Anyways, an event occurred recently that grabbed my attention that immediately connected me with Americana. My truck and trusty sidekick, (nicknamed Old Faithful) finally rolled over to 175,000 miles.

I know that there are a lot of cars out there that have gone over that amount, but to me, it means something more. Living in a middle class neighborhood of Chattanooga, (with it's fair share of wealth), I always saw kids growing up whose parents bought them nice cars, for their first car. Living more "in the sticks" than most of those suburbanites, I didn't want anything fancy. Just a pickup, or a Jeep. I had saved up quite a bit of money, just working odd jobs and had enough money to buy a red and white, 1994 Chevy k1500, 4x4, z71, extended cab, (top of the line for it's day). I still remember going down to Alabama to look at it, then eventually buy it. On the test drive we drove it down a trail, then a country road. I had found my first car.

What was my original attraction to trucks? Americans do love their trucks, and I think it's for a number of reasons.

#1: It's a replacement for the horse. When this versatile farm animal was quickly being replaced by the automobile for transportation, farmers still needed something that could be a jack of all trades. This is why people in the country buy more trucks than anyone. It's their trusty ole' steed, which brings me to why they're so popular elsewhere.

#2: People love experiencing Americana, and part of that is our fascination of the cowboy. In the 1990's, (when my truck was produced), trucks and SUVs where outselling cars. I honestly believe that the public's love of American history is what drove them to buy pickups in such huge numbers. I think just about everyone can imagine a modern day cowboy saddling up in a pickup truck. Yet, there's one more reason, I think.

#3: In the 1970's and 80's, after the gas crisis hit, every automaker was downsizing. Gone were the days when it was your American right to own a v8 powered rear wheel drive car. The only thing that had those two options after the gas crisis were....... Trucks.

So, how does my experience tie in with these reasons that I just listed? I had that truck through most of high school. Do you know how much growing up was done in that time frame? A lot! That truck was part of my high school experience. From driving the dreaded W road, camping at "the treehouse", tail-gating at football games, dating, and where the reliability factor rings true with me- working. I knew I had to fuel this thirsty beast, and
I didn't just want my truck to be a statement. So I started selling firewood. For 35,000 miles, I've used it to haul roughly 30 ricks of wood (4'x8', or a full bed for my truck) every year. Not to mention how rough I used to drive in it, off-roading, pulling people out who got stuck, hauling dirtbikes, and so on.

I have honestly thought of buying a new truck, or a more economical car. But at the end of the day, I want MY truck. It's part of who I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment