Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"The Lost Generation"












I have been pondering how to approach this subject for quite some time. Actually ever since I took the Facebook quiz "Are you a '90s kid?". Last night when I went to the movies with a friend, I got an epiphany on how to start talking about this subject. Actually, it wasn't an epiphany. It was the movie and the previews. Count them and weep; I saw Transformers, the preview for GI Joe, Terminator and Pelham 123 were also playing, and I had recently seen where they were going to remake The Ninja Kid, and Top Gun. That's right, they're redoing six movies/shows that were originally made in the '70s and '80s. Which brings me to the question I've been asking myself for weeks ever since taking the "90's kid" quiz: Are we in the final year of the "lost generation"? Ever since the year 2000, it seems as if kids who've grown up between then and now have nothing to identify with except remakes. At least when I was a kid in the '90s (considered gen Y), we had Doug, Power Rangers, Jurassic Park, and towards the end Hey Arnold. I even remember my cousins who identified their childhood with the '80s (also considered gen Y) telling me how cool their movies, toys, and trends were. Gen X'ers and some of gen Y can often recount a "Star Wars Christmas", when almost every toy under the tree had to do with Star Wars. Kids today talk about stuff that's already been remade. When the new millennia began, I believe the earliest remake was Charlie's Angels, and it's been unrelenting since then. I'm not saying that these are terrible movies, but starting next year, what will be left to remake? Who will the new ideas come from? And what will the kids who identified their childhood with the current decade recall as their own?

No comments:

Post a Comment