Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"summer breeze, makes me feel fine"


Where does the time go? It seems like it was only yesterday when I had to make about a million trips down the stairs of Fowler Hall to painstakingly load all of my dorm into the truck. (Consequently I did not run that day due to the stair-masters workout I got on my butt.) Last night a couple of friends and I got together before Kasey had to go back to Auburn. It's so surreal to me now. It was nearly a year ago when we were all headed off for our first year of college. We never said it to each other last summer, but everybody knew we were all thinking the same thing: we were nervous about leaving home and worrying about how our first year would go.... My first summer back home after being on my own for a year has been a strange one mentally. It's one of those unexplainable feelings. For some kids, this summer can bring back mood swings as strong as when we were gawdy pre-teenagers going through puberty. Now I had some moody days, but never to where I would describe it as what middle school was like. I think this partially comes from having to get over your home-sickness at school; and once you get used to living on your own away from your family, summer comes. You are once again living at home with everybody you learned how not to live with. It is a weird thing, this whole growing-up experience. So last night when the group started out the door to go home, I thought of how much easier it would be this time around for everybody to leave home. I also wondered if everybody's sophomore year would go as well as the last year. Because now each of us also has other friends at our new schools to unload our problems on.

No comments:

Post a Comment