Anyways when I went out to get gas for the logsplitter on Friday, I went into Favorite Market. I went at the most opportune time before the "yard sellers" as I call them choked traffic on the mountain. When I walk in I always have to use my strong will power to not buy any fried chicken in that place. The smell is overpowering. That may sound really redneck, but Colonol Sanders hasn't got anything on this chicken! So as I wait behind a few people buying their daily supply of cigs, beer, and lottery tickets, I notice somebody familiar in the store. Now here's a perfect 'Seinfeld moment': you recognize somebody, they obviously remember you, but you cannot ask them. Because if you asked them, then you would seem like a total jerk! So I waited for them to extend a hand first to avoid my akward moment.
"Hey, I know you." he said.
"Yeah, hey! How are you!?" I replied unassuredly.
"Pretty good. How is your aunt?" he asked.
When he said this I immediately remembered who this was. He was a friend of my cousin Josh. Back in 2004, my cousin Josh had died of a heart valve problem. This seems to be a common cause of death for very athletic, young people. My aunt had a very hard time dealing with it, and I have seen somebody my own age die in front of me since then. So obviously it's a very dark subject for me.
"It seems so strange that it's been so long since the..." "Hey, can I help you?" the cashier interrupted abruptly.
"Yeah, ten on pump six. Well, it's been good seeing you, but I..." I tried to get away. But he really wanted to talk.
"I'll meet you in the parking lot."
As I hurredly filled up the jerry cans, sure enough he came up to me.
"I knew you looked familiar, then I said to myself 'that's one of Josh's cousins". He pondered a while, then said "It's so weird that that happened this long ago. I hope everyone is doing OK. Well, I'll let you go. It looks like you're pretty busy. Take care!'
"Yeah, it was good seeing you too!"
It's strange how something you try not to think of can come whirling back into your thoughts like a tornado. I try not to think about it because already in my life I've seen a lot of younger people's lives get cut short before their prime. Probably none more haunting than the incident on Missionary Ridge. But you can't dwell on it. You've got to make something of your own life.
Before I knew it, I was laughing again, driving down the backroads to avoid yard sellers. I had the windows down, listening to some old Buddy Holly music, as my pickup truck rumbled down the road. I was lost in the moment, with the music and everything seeming like it was out of a movie. I thought of the Thanksgiving where my mom had made a good carrot dish, but when Josh saw it he asked, "Who made this carrot concoction?!" Everyone including my mom gave a laugh before we dug in.


No comments:
Post a Comment